How to Use the Ultra Running Mindset to Improve Your Running (and Life!): Travis Macy
As runners we love to see how running intersects with our other passions and areas of interest, but have you ever considered how your running could be making you a mentally stronger person who is better prepared for the challenges in life that we do not expect?
We choose to put ourselves through the discomfort of training, but often our biggest obstacles are those aspects of our lives that we are not training for.
I had never really thought of it that way, and I am guessing many of you had not either, but if you think about it for a moment, when you complete a workout that you struggled through, or you overcome an injury and get back into great shape, dont you feel like you could take on anything.
We often do not think about how it impacts the rest of our lives, but it does. We joke about runners being a “different breed”, but maybe there is something about us, and not in a bad way. If we can just spin our perspective a little, we could become unstoppable in every area of our lives.
My guest today is Travis Macy
- Author of upcoming book; The Ultra Mindset- an endurance champion’s 8 core principles for success in business, sports and life
- A motivational speaker, coach and professional endurance athlete
- Travis holds record for Leadman; an epic endurance event consisting of a trail running marathon, 50 mile mountain bike race, Leadville 100 Mountain Bike Race, 10k Road run, and Leadville 100 run, all above 10,200 ft in the rocky mountains
- He has competed in over 100 ultra, adventure, and trail events
Today Travis and I are going to discuss:
- Why it is important to find your own running path; you do not need to follow the traditional step up in distance path that most follow, if you follow your heart, you will find your way
- What fixed and growth mindsets are, and how you can change your outlook to grow in every area of your life
- What you learn and practice through your training, and how you can apply those lessons to your life
- How to identify role models, and how to learn from them to become a better runner
- Why you need to ask for help to get better, and why you should not be afraid of reaching out to people you look up to, even if they are competitors
- How to use internal and external motivators during the ups and downs that training and racing brings
- How self control can be compared to a muscle that needs to be trained, and what to do when that muscle tires
This is a great episode, and I am sure you are going to enjoy, lets meet Travis!
https://cdn-podcats.runnersconnect.net/Travis Macy- The Ultra Mindset.mp3
Or download the Full Audio MP3 to listen to on any device (Android and Windows) on your next run.
Want more awesome interviews and advice? Subscribe to our iTunes channel
You can also download directly to your Stitcher Radio app
May we Ask You For a Favor?
Thank you again for listening to the show. If it has helped you in any way or you know another runner who could benefit from what we talked about today, we would really appreciate if you would share it using the social media buttons on the side of the page.
And lastly, if you have any questions you can email email@example.com or leave us a voice message at (617) 356-7969 or click the voice message button on the right side of the page.
Links and Resources mentioned in this Interview:
The Ultra Mindset by Travis Macy
Running with Buffaloes by Chris Lear
Succeed: How we Reach our Goals by Heidi Grant Halvorson
Woo Way: A New Way of Living and Being by Jim Dowton
Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Wellbeing by Martin Seligman
Please consider giving us a review on iTunes by clicking THIS link. You can follow this YouTube Video of a Demonstration of How to Leave a Review. Thank you in advance 🙂